Victorian, Birth, Death and Marriages...
*A note about references: Hovering your cursor over a reference number will produce a tooltip (if your browser supports them) denoting the reference being used, clicking on the reference number will bring up a popup window, with further details on the source of reference: Each individual reference number refers to one source, though it may be the source for multiple pieces of information and therefore used multiple times within this site.
Indexes that have been publically released cover the following periods;
Birth, Death and Marriage Indexes for Victoria Australia began in 1851,
- Victorian Pioneer Index 1836-1888;
- Victorian Federation Index 1889-1901;
- Victorian Edwardian Index 1902-1913;
- Victorian Great War Index 1914-1920;
- Victorian Death Index 1921-1985 ;
- Marriages are also covered up to 1930
prior to that all Victorian records were held by New South Wales.
Information available from Victorian BDM's:
- Birth Certificate; place and date of birth (also notes whether the child was present when registered), sex, father's name and age, date and place of parents marriage, mother's name and maiden name and age, siblings (living and dead) and their ages, midwife/doctor present at the birth.
- Birth Indexes: name of child, name of Father, name of Mother (including her maiden name), place of birth, year, registration number
- Death Certificate; date of death, name of deceased, age of deceased, cause of death, name of deceased parents (if known), witness at the death, place and date of burial, place of birth and years lived in the Colony of Australia, date and place of marriage and spouses name, names and ages of offspring.
- Death Indexes: name of deceased, name of Father, name of Mother (incudling her maiden name), age, place of death, year, registration number
- Marriage Certificate; place and date of marriage, names of bride and groom, martial status, place of birth of both parties, occupations, ages, usual place of residence and current place of residence, names of parents (including mother's maiden name), occupations of father's of the couple, name of minister and signatures of witness's.
- Marriage Indexes; bride's name, groom's name, year, registration number (and up until about 1910, the place of birth of each spouse is also listed)